Have you ever wondered what it would be like to ride a Slip ‘N’ Slide down New York’s famed Park Avenue on a hot Summer’s day? Wonder no more, for the first 3 Saturdays in August (the 6th, 13th and 20th) the Summer Streets festival turns 7th Avenue from a bustling transport coridor into an oasis of Summer fun.
Summer Streets is an initiative of the New York City Council and it’s Department of Transport to promote a healthier lifestyle for New Yorkers and to encourage locals and visitors alike to see their city in a very different light.
For the first 3 Saturday’s in August from 7am – 1pm approx. 7miles of Park Avenue will be closed to traffic from the Brooklyn Brige all the way up to Central Park at East 72nd Street.
One of the main attractions of the route is the Slip ‘n’ Slide which can be found in Foley Square at the bottom of the route near the Brooklyn Bridge. Other highlights of the festival include:
- Slip ‘N’ Slide – Foley Square (pre-registration required)
- A 50 metre zip line – 53rd Street between Lexington & Park Avenues (arrive early)
- Central Park Sightseeing bike rental – Central Park
- A taste of Summer sampling zone – Midtown Rest Stop
- Make it Here (interactive amuseument / display) – Astor Place Rest Stop
- Parkour fitness demonstration – SoHo Rest Stop
The best part about it is that it is completely free – so if you are in New York for the next 3 Saturday’s stop by and be sure to share all your photos and stories with us on our Facebook page.
For more information on what is available be sure to check out the full Summer Streets website: www.nyc.gov/html/dot/summerstreets/